Friday, May 1, 2009

Hills and more hills

We missed the gorgeous blue skies of yesterday as we woke up to cold, drizzle and overcast skies.  We sat around for a while and pretended we were figuring out a route--I think really we were stalling our departure as the legs are howling pissed and our taints are obliterated-- we REALLY wanted rest.  We finally decided to head out and climb--and climb we did.

We went up and over Cornish Hill, down 166 and over to Hooker Mountain--up and over Hooker Mountain, down the back and wandered through the back roads of Westford and finally popped out in the valley and it was back up and over Murphy Hill to home. Total for the day was 28 miles and 3600 ft of climbing.

I'm learning quickly that the Bigs does not like to climb and he loves to tell you all about "why" as he heads up. I think today was a break-through day whether he knows it or not--he was actually kind of chatty while climbing.  He's certainly looking better and it looked like he was almost having a little fun--he horsed up the backside of Murphy Hill in his middle ring--I was wondering why he was making funny faces--I thought he was picking up a rancid odor or something. The weather cleared and warmed up a bit--kind of humid actually.
All in all quite a nice day.

The big man is about to find out that Cornish Hill is really steep.


This cemetery marks the start of the Hooker Mountain climb--not Big Dave's favorite. It's the only local hill I know that gains 1000 feet--we did it twice and yes, Dave told me all about it the whole way up.


Working way too hard!!!  I probably should have reconsidered my choice to ride the SS today--oh well, like the Baby Moose always says-- Varsity efforts, varsity results.

Big Dave coming over the top of Campbell Hill--kinda making the I smell something funny face.

No comments: