Thursday, February 25, 2010

I'm bored and dreaming again.

If you have not heard, we here in the Northeast are getting dumped on. It's been snowing pretty much all day. When I walked to work tonight, the snow was just about knee-deep--it's really pretty out. Why am I so bored? Well, lots of snow means poor roads and that means the good ole' folks around here do not get sick and have no need for our services until the weather clears a bit--funny how that works. Either way, I'm more than happy to take what I can get.

I can't stop thinking about Mt. Washington--I'm so psyched to do it. I think I'm going to sign up for Newton's Revenge as it's half price for those already signed up for Mt. Washington. With both races having a free practice ride, I should be able to get 4 trips up the hill--good practice and time to dial in the gear.

As I have mentioned, I want to get a hill climbing bike and to make it worthwhile, it needs to be significantly lighter than the Ottrott--I'm aiming to trim 5 lbs of bike weight and for what it's worth 4 more pounds of my weight--9 lbs is pretty significant, if you ask me.

So here is what I (actually Ian at Fitwerx) came up with--should be in the 13 pound range.

Parlee Z5--approx 900 grms for the frameset

Different frame showing off the nude carbon finish--stealth!

Edge road taper fork 340 grms
The new Keo Carbon Blade--258 grms with cleats and mounting hardware.

easton EC90 post--168 grms
Selle Italis SLR Flite Team Edition--150 grms

REVL carbon road brake--115 grms per wheel

SRAM Red front derailleur--72 grms

SRAM Red shift/brake levers--318 grms

SRAM XX rear derailleur--180 grms

SRAM XX rear cassette--186 grms

Zipp VumaQuad crankset 50/34 with ceramic bottom bracket--590 grms


Zipp SL145 stem--135 grms

Zipp SLC2 handlebars--192 grms

Zipp 202 tubulars--1095 grms for the front and back
with Tufo elite jet tires--160 grms each.

Pretty straight-forward build right out of the weight weenies playbook. Although the primary goal is light weight none of these components are giving up performance for weight--it's all pretty much as good as it gets. This all adds up to 4.7 kgs which does not include bar tape, cables, wheel tape and a chain--it gonna be light, know what I is saying!
The gearing is going to give me a 34x36 which should be more than enough for any hill and still remain some what functional on non-hill climb rides--if that gets to be a problem, i.e. not enough gear I'm going to put the SRAM red rear derailleur and cog on when it's not "hill climb season." So hopefully I can get her ordered up in the next week or so.

No comments: