Sunday, December 6, 2009

A day off playing in the snow-Rest 101

More!

You may remember that I mentioned somewhere below that I am on my own this coming season as far coaching goes. I have been spending a lot of my "free time" at work reading about training and coming up with a plan to get me ready for next season. One thing that I have read over and over again is how important a rest period is in order to recover both mentally and physically. Almost every time I have read or talked about this topic, it inevitably comes back to how "hard" it is to rest and how most athletes just plain out do not rest enough. It's a funny notion that "resting" is "hard" but it is, and for me it comes down to: 1. I love training; and 2. it's difficult to think about giving up the well-earned fitness I have gained this past season.

More, more!

So, where am I going with all this and why are there pictures of my most awesome kids playing in the snow and not a pictorial of me lounging around on the couch to illustrate how well I am abiding by the mantra that you must rest to get faster? Well, December is my rest month, if you have not already figured that out, which I am determined to do properly--i.e. no training and only exercise when I feel like it--that's the easy part. The hard part is getting my mind around it, i.e no stress, not feeling like a loser because I didn't get out on the bike and no guilt over gaining a couple extra pounds because I have to be honest, I love to eat.

I forgot to mention the extra coffee-more, more!

Smile-more! This is fun.

It's all about the cross-training.

So why the kids? Frankly, they set a great example--they are world class at having fun--one more reason I wish I was more like them. Thanks for inviting me along today.

No comments: