Sunday, March 22, 2009

A weekend of rest

Well, I was looking at my training logs and realized I hadn't taken a day off in over 5 weeks so...this blog will be an open dialog about knowing your body and knowing your self. When someone tells you that you are training too hard they are usually jealous of your work ethic...when your legs won't go and people that you would normally smoke are blowing past you it is time to listen to the inner voice. Know thy self as it turns out is excellent advice. There is something to be said for old athletes attempting to remake themselves. There are also a few truths I have come to believe in. 1.) You are not your best coach. 2.) If you know how to win that is like gold. 3.) Not many people know much about winning. I have got to find a trustworthy and understanding coach because I have a deep understanding about the subject of winning. I am not satisfied with third or even second. I need to devise a plan that will allow me to find success in XC as well as Endurance racing. I think the 2hr to 12 hour race range is close enough that if I do the correct training I can be good at both. I have the crazy idea that a year from now it will be difficult for almost anybody to stay with me when I push myself on a strong day. For some strange reason that is important to me. I use this to put in 4-5 hour training sessions, where a coach would help would be to put some structure to my overall training and give me specific goals and ride/race/training advice. I took two days off and feel rested and ready for the tainting/training ahead.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Dude--
Nice to see you back on message!

Robb Jordan said...

Dude you are a badass. I went for a 7 mi ride yesterday on my sugar SWEEET and my legs are destroyyed I mean wasted. i better rest 2day. your bud, RobbyJ

Bigdave said...

Don't rest yet Robb...I will say that when I first started getting back into riding I went on what I though was an epic 15 mile ride. Now let me tell you 15 miles at sea level on a "rails to trails" run is no epic adventure. However, as I was wailing away at 8mps and some dude and his wife were out on what could only be described as grocery getters and chatting away I thought to myself when I turned around at 7.5 miles "I'm a badass" then the dudes wife says "done already?" That took a little wind out of my sails and I wondered what the hell she meant as I was killing myself to get back to the trail head. I went home told my wife and took a 3 hour nap. No kidding. Fast forward...I do 50 miles on that trail at 15 mph and that was before winter training. I will probaly abandon that trail soon as I have outgrown it in the course of the past year. I will hit it a few times to try to put in a 50 at 20mph this season and maybe a few other times for recovery type riding. You will get there bro...for a while there I decided that my motto was..."I can rest when I'm dead" which at 253lbs was probably coming sooner then it should have. Luckily I have friends that are sneaky and take me for a bike ride in their low geared road bike when I have not been riding in 10 years to laugh as I try to stand in the saddle and climb a 400 ft hill...