Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Same image with a twist

As I posted below, I stayed up late with the kids and drew the picture below. Originally, it was pencil and paper, which I photographed, put into Photoshop and added the green and black. Pretty cool result--the shading isn't quite even, due to the way it photographs, and I didn't color-correct it, so the background has kind of an aged look--nice.



I worked the next night, and of course, I couldn't sleep, so I was back at it and made the above image. This time, I traced the first image in black, photographed it, put it into Photoshop, made it pure black and white, then took the black outline and color-filled it for a graphic look--probably a little more true to the Art Deco period. Max demanded that I make this fellow #4, as that was his favorite number at the time.

Yeah, you guessed it, another late night awake by myself with nothing to do, so I thought I would take my mom up on her offer and give oil painting a try--very interesting--it kind of makes me feel the same way I felt when I painted all the trim in our house. I started with a 30" x 10" canvas. As there was no chance that I was going to be able to free paint this, I sketched the sprinted on the canvas and basically made it paint by numbers. I'm really happy with it thus far, but there's not a lot of instant gratification, in that it takes days for each color to dry. Didn't know that--guess my mom wasn't kidding.

The first step was to put down the middle gray shadows--and wait a couple of days.

I did my best to match the greens, which seemed to work pretty well--it should be dry after Iceman, so I can lay down the black. You'll notice that I went back to lucky 3--still my favorite number. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

No comments: